A fuel attendant at MRS filling station on Lawanson road, Surulere and a resident of the area are battling for their lives as a Petrol Tanker caught fire while it was about to discharge fuel to the station.
While the yet to be identified fuel attendant was said to have been burnt while he was attempting to open the underground fuel storage,which caused a spark due to the unbearable heat of the underground storage,the other victim was one of the residents who were helping the men of the fire service to quench the fire.
The attendant was rushed to the hospital before the fire escalated and the unknown resident,who fell from one of the houses on fire while he,with others,was attempting to quench the fire was taken away by an ambulance belonging to the Lagos State government.
The incident started around 5 pm,with residents of the area battling to quench the fire before men of the Isolo and Sari Iganmu water corporation arrivedat the scene to salvage the situation.
Men from the Ninth brigade belonging to OP Messa Unit,in charge of security in Mushin,Isolo and Surulere cordoned off the area to allow men of the fire service access to the area and maintain security.
The commander of the unit, Lieutenant Y.M Gana said he was at the scene with two patrol vehicles to prevent hoodlums from taking advantage of the situation to cause mishap.
The fire has been quenched at the time of filing this report.